Kind and friendly poodles are fast learners and are comparatively easy to train compared to other dog breeds. They are a grace of the family and also for other pets and also for visitors or the stranger who enters the house. If you intend to keep this dog as a pet, be prepared for the time to groom your dog as part of standard poodle training.
1. Vaccination is the first step you should take when you bring your dog home for the first time. Annual vaccination will prevent your poodle from contracting the disease and give him immunity. You have to go to the vet and check with the vet about flea control products and also deworm your dog every three months.
2. High quality dog food is essential for the best growth of your poodle. Meat should be the first choice in the line of quality products. Crude protein should not be less than 21 percent and fat should be less than 20 percent and fiber content should be 4 percent or less. Feed your dog a small meal two to three times a day as it can be helpful in preventing bloat.
3. Socialization should be trained at an early age. Poodles are intelligent dogs and respond strongly to obedience training. At the same time, exercise should be done on a daily basis. Although they don’t require a great deal of exercise, a backyard to play with will work.
4. They are among the luxury dogs and need to be kept properly. Poodle sheds very little. They should bathe regularly and the nail should be cut every two weeks. Their fur should be trimmed every six to seven weeks. And also check regularly for ear mites. This is also included as part of standard poodle training.
5. You should be aware of major health conditions, such as cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy, allergies, and skin problems. Dysplasia and Von Willedrand’s disease are two other main diseases that can trap the poodle. That is why you must be aware of the appropriate vaccination and its health statistics. They should be taken to vets on a regular basis.
6. His expected life is about 12 to 15 years. You should also know that male and female standard poodles can reach heights in excess of 15 inches. The male will weigh 25 to 70 pounds, while the female will weigh 45 to 60 pounds.